Wednesday, May 12, 2010

BP Oil Leak - On the ground update #8

Yesterday I filmed at the BP Oil Leak command center in Hopedale, LA. I did interviews with some of the fisherman who are working as temporary contractors for BP under the Vessel of Opportunity Program.

Under the program, BP moved quickly to hire local fishermen work as crews to prevent the oil from seeping into the marsh. Because of this initiative, many fisherman who would be out of work due to fishing closures are able to earn an income.

The fisherman I talked to shared thoughts, ideas, and concerns of the oil leak and it's suspected ability to damage the abundance of fish and wildlife in the coastal estuaries. One gentleman I talked to, Raymond "Bozo" Couture, told me that he thought the marsh would take at least 10 years to recover from a major hit by the oil leak.

Others were worried about the long term damage to their health from exposure to the dispersant chemicals that are being used to break up the oil slick. Without any solid public information on the chemical makeup and danger of the dispersants, I certainly share their concern.

State Senator A.G. Crowe who represents St. Tammany, St. Bernard, Plaquemines, Orleans parishes seems to be one of our public officials who is pressing the State's Attorney General Buddy Caldwell to further investigate the danger of the dispersants. I would encourage those of you who share my concerns to write Senator Crowe an email of support as well as one to Attorney General Caldwell asking that he pursue Senator Crowe's requests.



No comments:

Post a Comment