Wednesday, May 5, 2010

On the ground update #4

I'm rushing to leave for Venice. My dogs are looking at me like "What about us ?". I wish they could understand that this is something that I have to do to protect my home. I owe them a good trip to the park when things slow down.

Yesterday I caught my first glimpse of the oil. We headed out 15 miles into the Gulf of Mexico through Pass a Loutre. The seas were a bit rough but it felt nice to be on the open water. When we hit depths of about 350 feet, we began to see signs of oil. What we saw was not large globs or sheens of black oil, but billions of tiny pellets that were a reddish-brown color. This was due to the dispersants that BP is pouring onto the slick as well as the gulf's natural ability to break down the oil.

After I had filmed the oil and the CNN crew on board was done filming their piece, we decided to head back. Then, out of nowhere, a sea turtle appeared and he was swimming straight for our boat. Of course the only thing that I could do was point my camera at him, although what I really wanted to do was get in there and get him out of the oil. Looking back I'm not sure if his intentions were to be saved or just a curiosity of what we were doing in his home. I don't know what his fate will be, but I will never forget that sea turtle.

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog - I will be following it closely. I can't really tell that the water that sea turtle is in has oil in it, but I definitely believe you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should appear murky. That's the way that the oil looks out there...murky...broken into billions of tiny pieces.

    ReplyDelete